FIFA 18 has a long list of changes which bring improvements to the game. But which of these changes will affect your playing style on the pitch? Here in this post, we go through the FIFA 18 new on-the-pitch features that you need to know before switching to FIFA 18.
As a part of the new features to FIFA 18, these amendments could impress your pattern of play if you were playing the previous versions of FIFA games and now you are going to play FIFA 18 for the first time. This quick guide will help you to know how to adapt to these new changes one by one.
Dribbling has become more precise in FIFA 18. Players with better dribbling (DRI) ratings can do better and more accurate dribbling on the pitch. Your movement are now better calculated in terms of carrying the ball on the pitch. There is also slow dribbling in FIFA 18 which can be performed by holding L1 / LB while dribbling.
- Slow Dribbling – PlayStation: Hold L1 + L / Xbox: Hold LB + L
Changes in Crossing
EA has modified the crossing system in FIFA 17 with the improved mechanics. Regular crosses have a more driven and curved trajectory. For ground cross, you need to hold R1 / RB button when crossing. For a very high cross, you need to hold L1 / LB button and then cross.
- Ground Cross – PlayStation: Hold R1 + ▢ / Xbox: Hold RB + X
- High Cross – PlayStation: Hold L1 + ▢ / Xbox: Hold LB + X
More Realistic Standing Tackles
Standing tackles have become more realistic in FIFA 18. Defenders are now more brave to grab the ball from the attackers. Your players’ shoulders and upper bodies are now more involved in standing tackles. The higher DEF and PHY ratings your players have, the easier you can tackle and take the ball off your opponent.
- Tackle / Push or Pull / Jockey – PlayStation: Hold L1 + ▢ / Xbox: Hold LB + X
- Tackle / Push or Pull (when chasing) – PlayStation: ◯ / Xbox: B
- Contain – PlayStation: X Press and Hold / Xbox: A Press and Hold
Penalties – Better than Before
Taking penalty kicks has been slightly improved in FIFA 18. EA has made the penalties better in this game. The penalty kick taker and the keeper have both better and more realistic moves, which would give you less stress for taking and saving penalty kicks.
To substitute players in previous FIFA games, you had to pause the game, go the main menu and make a substitution. But now you can make substitutions without visiting the main menu! When the ball is out of play, a small notification circle appears on the screen which can be maximised by holding R2 / RT button, this feature is called “Quick Subs” and shows you a suggestion on who might be worth taking off and bringing on the pitch.
You can set your Quick Subs and Suggested Subs settings in the TEAM MANAGEMENT menu before you play a match.
- Quick Substitutes – PlayStation: R2 / Xbox: RT
- Quick Substitutes Settings – Can be found at TEAM MANAGEMENT window
There are over 10 new goal celebrations in FIFA 18. We suggest you to get familiar with these celebrations if you’re really into it!
- X – PlayStation: Hold L1 Flick R ⇩⇩ / Xbox: Hold LB Flick RS ⇩⇩
- Walk Like Me – PlayStation: Hold L1 Flick R ⇦⇨ / Xbox: Hold LB Flick RS ⇦⇨
- Mask – PlayStation: Hold L1 Flick R ⇧⇧ / Xbox: Hold LB Flick RS ⇧⇧
- Cell Phone – PlayStation: Hold L2 press ▢ / Xbox: Hold LT press X
- Hypnosis – PlayStation: Hold L2 press △ / Xbox: Hold LT press Y
- Workout – PlayStation: Hold L2 double tap ▢ / Xbox: Hold LT double tap X
- Kiss the Ring – PlayStation: Hold R2 double tap ◯ / Xbox: Hold RT double tap B
- Stir the Pot – PlayStation: Hold L2 double tap △ / Xbox: Hold LT double tap Y
- Mannequin – PlayStation: Hold L2 hold R ⇧ / Xbox: Hold LT hold RS ⇧
- Heart – PlayStation: Hold L2 hold R ⇩ / Xbox: Hold LT hold RS ⇩
- Pipe – PlayStation: Hold L2 Flick R ⇧⇩ / Xbox: Hold LT Flick RS ⇧⇩
- Scorpion – PlayStation: Hold L2 Flick R ⇦⇨ / Xbox: Hold LT Flick RS ⇦⇨
- Waddle – PlayStation: Hold L2 spin R clockwise / Xbox: Hold LT spin RS clockwise